The skin’s integrity and function is easily compromised through aging, environmental conditions, and genetics. Skin rejuvenation is a broad term that includes methods of revitalizing skin to help it look healthier, firmer, smoother and younger. Both skin care products and treatments/procedures can reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. Skin care products applied routinely can help keep the skin cleansed, moisturized and well-toned. Idaho Eyelid and Facial Plastic Surgery offers our patients two clinically proven skin care lines, Epionce and Obagi, to that end. Superficial skin resurfacing treatments can also help combat fine lines and wrinkles, acne scars and blemishes before they deepen. Many skin rejuvenation practices also encourage new collagen growth to firm and tighten the skin.
Types of superficial skin rejuvenation
A number of skin rejuvenation techniques are offered at Idaho Eyelid and Facial Plastic Surgery, including:
- Laser Resurfacing: procedure that uses laser energy to gently remove skin layers. This process has many benefits including treatment of brown spots, redness, discoloration caused by sun damage and aging.
- Chemical Peels: topical creams made of glycolic acid or salicylic acid to whiten and brighten the skin. It’s best used to treat fine wrinkles, acne, uneven skin tone, and dryness.
- Radiofrequency (RF) Microneedling: a technology in minimally-invasive skin tightening for the face, neck and body. Vivace RF microneedling is a therapy that stimulates your body’s ability to produce collagen. Microneedling, which is the use of tiny needles on the skin, rejuvenates the skin, and is coupled with radiofrequency technology to improve skin elasticity and reduces wrinkles, scars, and even stretch marks.
- Microdermabrasion: minimally abrasive instrument to gently sand your skin, removing the thicker, uneven outer layer, treat light scarring, discoloration, and sun damage.
- Fillers/Botulinum toxin: while these injectables are not superficial, they provide minimally invasive non-surgical options for skin rejuvenation.
- Fillers: designed to fill in fine lines/wrinkles around the nose, cheeks, and mouth. It is an effective method to restore volume and smooth the skin, much like turning a raisin back into a grape by adding volume. Dermal fillers are gel-like substances injected into your facial skin; they are cost-effective and less intensive than facial surgery.
- Botulinum toxin: neuromodulator injections to block nerve signals to the muscles. This allows the overworked muscles to relax back into an at-rest position, letting the skin become smooth again.
Factors that contributes to a healthy skin
Skin rejuvenation begins with a change in lifestyle. Choosing the right food to eat, when to sleep, routine physical exercises and choice of habits goes a long way in the maintenance of a youthful smooth and radiant skin. The factors listed below are not all-inclusive but should provide a good starting point for those who wish to make a positive change.
- A well balanced diet with vitamins and essential elements
- Avoid substances with high alcohol content
- Intake of sufficient drinking water
- Enough sleep and rest
- Avoid smoking tobacco
- Physical exercises
- Avoid stress
Choosing the right sun screen
Sun exposure damages the skin. It is fundamental to choose appropriate sunscreen to protect your skin. Epionce and Obagi skin care lines carry a variety of protection. The SPF should be 30 or higher with a physical blocker such as titanium oxide or zinc which should not exceed 9%. Moreover, physical sun protection (hats, covering your body with clothing, shade) safeguards your skin from aging and damages.