What is entropion?
Entropion is a medical condition in which the eyelid (usually the lower lid) folds inward. It is very uncomfortable, as the eyelashes constantly rub against the cornea. The upper or lower eyelid can be involved, and one or both eyes may possibly be affected. When entropion occurs in both eyes, this is known as “bilateral entropion.” Trachoma infection may possibly cause scarring of the inner eyelid, which may possibly cause entropion. This condition is most common in people over 60 years of age.
Four Basic Anatomic Conditions Which May Possibly Lead To Entropion:
- Horizontal lid laxity
- Disinsertion or attenuation of retractors
- Preseptal orbicularis overriding the pretarsal orbicularis muscle
Patients also find relief by pulling the lower eyelid away from the eye
Forms of Entropion
- Differentiate from epiblepharon
- Treat by excising skin and orbicularis below eyelid margin
- Due to ocular inflammation and irritation
- Treat underlying disease
- laxity or defect of the lower eyelid retractors (involutional=senile), due to lid retractor dehiscence of the lower eyelid retractors (analogue of mueller’s muscle) or of capsulopapebral fascia (analogue of levator)
- horizontal eyelid laxity
- preseptal orbicularis override
- thermal cautery
- quickert suture
- re-attachment of lower eyelid retractors
- full thickness horizontal eyelid lid splitting and marginal rotation
- orbicularis muscle tightening procedures
- horizontal lid shortening
- tarsal strip
SEEKING TREATMENT IS VITAL
Entropion should not be ignored, since it can cause such discomfort. Idaho Eyelid and Facial Plastic Surgery has experienced medical professionals who will be able to recommend and execute the proper treatment options.
- stevens-johnson syndrome
- contact lenses
- mucous membrane graft
- scleral grafts
FIND OUT MORE
To learn more about treatment options for entropion in Boise, contact our office and schedule a consultation with Idaho Eyelid and Facial Plastic Surgery. Our board-certified facial plastic surgeons will ensure that high-quality results are achieved.